Let’s face it, 2020 hasn’t exactly been a low-stress year. Our home should be one of the places we can retreat to and reduce the amount of stress we experience in our daily lives.
Now with work and school happening at home, instead of in the office and in the classroom, along with boxes of delivered merchandise, our homes have quickly become stress-filled offices, schools and shopping malls.
How to create a low stress environment at home? Read on…
- Use and enhance natural light – open the blinds, let the outside come in, and reduce the use of harsh indoor artificial light with dimmer switches
- Install automated shades – new varieties of automated shades can raise your shades in the morning to encourage waking up naturally without an alarm, or respond to temperature changes by lowering shades in bright areas of the home
- Add a water feature – a small fountain inside the home can create a calming sound, or white noise to blur out stressful sounds from the outside
- Pet Center – from automated doggie-doors, to small showers and meal prep and dining stations, modern homes now include special features for your pet’s comfort
- Make Nature Visible – even small garden spaces can be planted with enough color or greenery to offer a peaceful, natural view from the inside. If your space is limited, consider colorful planter gardens which can change with the season
- Covered Outdoor Spaces – here in California, we actually have this as a branded feature – the “California Room” – a large covered patio area that blends with the home, and using well designed sliding doors, can open your interior living spaces to the outdoors for dining, watching TV, or entertaining
- Dual Owner Suites – a feature of multi-generational homes, the dual owner-suite concept allows for at least one downstairs master bedroom and bathroom for a family member who can’t handle stairs, visiting relatives, or a live-in caregiver
Our home should be a place of relaxation and respite – if it’s not, consider small changes that can increase comfort and relaxation.